Even though the weekend technically isn't over yet, both kids are napping right now (which happens on the second of Never) and so I thought I'd take a few minutes to write a quick update on everything we've been up to for the past few days.
First off, we had an awesome weekend. However, I am still amazed that the Fourth of July has come and gone and Nora's first birthday is in just a few weeks' time. Anyways, my office and the kids' daycare was closed on Friday, so we got an extra day together. Still, we might as well have taken the entire week off because the office was a ghost town. So, I picked up the kids on the earlier side and we ran a few errands, picked up dinner and headed home. Nora is getting more sure on her own two feet every day. She gets pretty ticked off when she falls. I tend to think of her as a miniature sorority girl, headed home from a Friday night frat party. Or Baby Frankenstein. She kind of toddles around, bumps into stuff, falls down, and anything she encounters on her stroll amuses her. Nora just cracks me up.
I could watch her walk all day - even though I torture her and make her go farther every time I can tell she's headed for me. I think I watched her play with the bouncy ball for about an hour on Thursday night. In any case, on Friday we did our usual chores - picked up the house, ran to the grocery store, pulled through Home Depot and spent most of the day getting the house ready to put on the market. My dad came up to paint the widow's walk in front of our house. As for my part, I've been deep cleaning everything - and I mean EVERYTHING. I've always considered myself a rather neat person, but the work I've been doing takes things to another level. Today, I cleaned our eating area. It was gross. There was like four years' worth of food crusted onto the walls, the trim around the doors, and mashed into the baseboards. Gross. But now, it looks awesome. I did the bathrooms this week as well and I'm embarrassed to admit that I ever showered in something that dirty. But oh well, it's clean now!
So on Friday, Jack stated that he wanted to go for a hot dog. So, I ran a quick Google search and found the "best" place for hot dogs. So, we grabbed dinner and then headed home. As we were getting ready for bed, the doorbell rang and our neighbors invited us over for a bonfire, games, s'mores, and fireworks.
We stayed up way too late, but we were having such a great time. Jack and I have been talking about what the Fourth of July actually celebrates. I was telling him that it was the day that America was "born" and how our nation was created. The whole concept was kind of lost on Jack. He kept asking who America was, where he lived, what kind of present we'd get him for his birthday and whether there'd be cake. I tried to tell him all about cities, states, and the nation, but that was a little too much for him to take. But still, I kept getting the giggles every time he'd ask when we were going to America's birthday party.
In any case, we stuck close to home yesterday morning - doing more cleaning, packing, and organizing. Honestly, it's going to be a shame to leave the house now because it's really starting to look quite nice, I must say. Around lunch, we headed over to my girlfriend's house to do a little swimming. She's got a little girl that's about a year older than Jack and they are as thick as thieves whenever they get together. Jack had so much fun swimming and playing. Nora was not feeling well, I could just tell. She took a long nap yesterday morning and went down soon after we got to the pool. She slept for about three hours and I finally had to wake her up because we had to leave.
In any case, we went to a family reunion of sorts last night - some of my extended family was in town, so it was nice to sit and visit for a little bit. Jack passed on the nap yesterday afternoon and fell asleep in the car on the way to the party.
He was completely out of sorts when we got to the reunion and spent half of it sitting on my lap with his face buried in my chest. He warmed up after a while, but it really took him some time to get there. Nora was just fine - she played around with my cousin's little girl and was happy to be passed around between the adults.
However, I picked her up as we were getting ready to go and I could tell she had a fever. Plus, her nose was running, her eyes were red and she just looked like she was uncomfortable. I had chalked it up to the fact that she's cutting her two top teeth (at the same time, ugh) but I got home and took her temperature. It was really high - so while I had considered fireworks, that was out of the question. Even Jack preferred to go home - the minute we walked in the door, he went and laid down on the couch and asked me to cover him up with a blanket so he could have some resting time.
So anyways, Jack and I did end up making it to fireworks - and we were able to stand on our back deck and watch them. Man, were they loud. Jack stood in front of me, hands over his ears and pressing his little body into my legs. I thought Blue was going to have a nervous breakdown. I had kept him in the house, but he managed to open up the back door and came tearing outside and threw himself against me and Jack, pressing us back into the house.
And today, Nora woke up with a fever so we went to urgent care. Again. She's got another ear infection and a rash from her fever. We've got an appointment with the ENT tomorrow and I'm pretty sure she's going to need tubes. Fortunately, I know what I'm doing this time around so I don't need to go through three sets of them before they finally work. She's doing okay - I barely slept last night because I was so worried about her fever and she's slept a lot today. Which is good, of course, but girlfriend is insanely crabby. And full of crap - I think she's been through three outfits today.
So after the doctor's visit, we hit up Target and came home. My dad cleaned out Jack's sandbox and my mom suggested that I fill it with water to make a little splash pool for the kids on the deck.
Jack played in the pool while Nora slept and I did some more cleaning. After she woke up, we ran a few more errands. We went to Home Depot - and I'm convinced this is the most happy place in the world for both kids. They love the little cart and riding along together. Also, Jack asks me what everything is and he just HAS to HAVE it all.
I love that little look Nora is giving her brother. Anyways, when we got home, I put the kids down so I could work on getting things ready for the week and whatnot. Now, both kids have gotten up from their naps and they're playing in the buff in the splash pool again.
And tomorrow, of course, we've got the ENT appointment. I'm so sick of going to the doctor. I know she needs tubes. I know when she's got an ear infection. I wish I could just call the doctor and tell him to put her on the schedule for his next available time. And this week is going to be more of the same - a LOT of cleaning and fixing and all that. But it's almost done. I've also got to get a few things squared away for her birthday party too - get the cake and find someone to take her pictures. So, we're keeping busy which is a good thing - a mix of work and play. I'm actually looking forward to the point where I'll have some downtime - but the way things look right now, that's not going to be until next year!
No comments:
Post a Comment