Sunday, March 4, 2012

Attack of the Killer Scallop

There's an episode of "Sex in the City" where Charlotte and Harry both come down with food poisoning at the same time after a romantic dinner...it may have been a Valentine's Day episode, I can't remember.  There are scenes of both of them, running to opposite bathrooms and laying prostrate, holding hands, on the bathroom floor.  But, let's just say it's a lot funnier on the show than it is in real life. 

Jeff and I became members of the Medina Country Club last week.  It's mostly for Jeff, so he can golf in the summer, and we can have a place to go eat that's both quiet and kid-friendly.  So, we went up to the club on Friday night for our inaugural meal.  Let's just say it's not one we're going to forget too quickly. 

We had a wonderful meal.  Seriously, everything was prepared wonderfully (or so we thought).  We had some wine, great conversation, and leaving the club, we both commented on how much we are going to enjoy being members there.  Jack slept peacefully through the entire meal.  So, when we got home, I put the baby to bed, and Jeff and I followed shortly thereafter.  About 1:30 on Saturday morning, I woke to find Jeff heading, rather quickly, into the bathroom.  Obviously, not something entirely unusual.  I got up, went into Jack's room to feed him, and came back to bed when Jeff informed me that he had just gotten violently ill.  I told him to stop telling me about it because, seriously, who wants to hear about puke?  Besides, I already have a sensitive stomach, and I was afraid I'd get the sympathy pukes.  In any case, about ten minutes later, my stomach starting roiling, and of course, I was in the bathroom, giving up everything I'd eaten for dinner.  Really gross, I know. 

For some reason, Jeff didn't get sick for the rest of the night, but I was up, every twenty minutes, running into the bathroom.  At about 4:00 in the morning, I knew I needed to go to the doctor in the morning, but I didn't know how I was going to get there.  So at my darkest point, laying in a cold sweat on the bathroom floor, I actually considered making Jeff call an ambulance to just take me to the hospital.  In any case, Jack woke up about 6:30, and I went into his room to change his diaper.  I got him on the changing table, and a wave of nausea came over me.  I hollered for Jeff, and the minute he got in the room, I ran for the bathroom.  Jeff barely got Jack's diaper changed and him back into the crib before he was running for the bathroom.  

So, we called in the cavalry. 

My parents came up (bless them, bless them, bless them) and took over for us.  We were so sick that Jeff and I were laying in our bed, in a state of semi-undress when they came into the bedroom and took the baby from us.  I can't imagine how we looked, let alone smelled.  So, my mom watched the baby while my dad took Jeff and I to the hospital.  There, the doctors gave us some anti-nausea medication and I got some IV fluids.  Consequently, Jeff was diagnosed with a middle ear infection, and I with a sinus infection, so we've really got a lot going for us right now. 

After we got home, my parents took Jack to their house so Jeff and I could get some sleep (again, bless them, bless them, bless them).  When we woke up, it felt as though we'd been through a war.  Still, it was a Saturday, and I only get so many days home with the baby.  So, I called my parents, who brought Jack back up to us.  Thankfully, he was happy to sit in my lap and actually went to bed early. 

Today, we're better than we were twenty-four hours ago.  Still both tired, a little sore, but we're putting food in our mouths again and keeing fluids down, so we are over the worst of it.  However, if you think about it, in less than a week, the Storms' household has been hit hard - RSV, an ear infection, a sinus infection, and two cases of food poisoning.  You'd think that would be enough for an entire family for a year, but it's happened to us in the span of five days.  But, the world didn't stop turning and now we're looking forward to the week and whatever new challenges await us!     

No comments:

Post a Comment