By now, Nora has "officially" been on the outside longer than she's been on the inside. I read once that there's a hormone women produce, postpartum, that helps them to forget the awful side of pregnancy and the pain of childbirth and allows us to think, "hey, that wasn't so bad - let's do that again!" I'm pretty sure that didn't happen this time around with her. With that said, though, she's been an absolute joy since the minute she arrived. I always tell people that she's a baby that I "deserve" because she's been so easy on me. Granted, both kids were easy on me, but Jack just plain ol' wears me out. Nora is a mama's girl - and anyone can tell that she's only got eyes for me. But, we've hit some rather big milestones this past month and, even though I repeat "Mama, Mama" I'm pretty sure her first word is "Jack." Which makes sense because I'm usually yelling it.
I think I've said this before - but every night after we get home, Jack runs outside to play. He's pretty good about staying in our yard but he doesn't always follow the house rules - i.e. don't climb on the hot tub and don't throw anything in the fish pond. Anyways, Nora will crawl over to the sliding glass door, stand and pound on it and scream "ACK! ACK! ACK!" It's not clear, and maybe I'm making it up, but you decide for yourself.
In any case, girlfriend was ten months old yesterday. Coincidentally, I caught her walking on Saturday afternoon. My sister's kids spent the night on Saturday (more about that later) and I had picked up the phone to call her and ask her a question. I was bringing in the groceries and I walked into our back hallway and Nora was standing up, holding onto the door exiting into the garage. She turned around, took two steps and went back down to her knees and kept on crawling. And now, I'll start following her around with my phone for weeks, trying to record her steps. I remember doing that with Jack - trying to get him to perform like a monkey and walk for the camera.
So yeah, Nora gets around pretty well, She laughs at everything and thinks its so cool to hang out with her big brother. Last night, I was picking up the house and I put her and Jack down on the floor together with a bowl of Cheerios and she just stared at him in wonder and was so excited to be sitting next to him, included in his world, and sharing food. The best parts of my day are usually centered around the kids, but catching moments like these make my heart melt. I love picking them up from school - Nora's shriek of delight upon seeing me and crawling as fast as her little legs will get her to me so I can pick her up for a cuddle. Or Jack, who is usually causing some sort of mischief, will throw whatever he's got in his hands up into the air and come tearing towards me screaming, "Mommy! Mommy!"
Or, at bedtime when we're all snuggled together and the kids fall asleep with such abandon. I was actually thinking about this last night (as I was lying awake, unable to sleep) that there's nothing they worry about, no upcoming trial to strategize about after midnight, no mysterious sounds that keep them awake - they sleep with the knowledge that they are safe, loved, and protected. And, how awesome is that?
Anyways, Nora is a walker and a talker. She's expanding her food interests as well. Currently a huge fan of all things fruity. She loves strawberries and bananas. Blueberries and Cheerios are a close second - but really, I should just say that she digs her new-found eating abilities:
So, like I mentioned last week, I started a new job on Tuesday. Most of the week, I felt very much like the new girl at school. I wasn't sure I'd fit in or if anyone would ask me to lunch. I was nervous I couldn't deliver what I'd promised in my interviews and I missed my friends at my old firm. And now, I'm almost a week in and I still have some of those feelings, but on the whole, things are fantastic. My old firm felt very much like a pair of yoga pants - if that makes sense - well worn and comfortable and maybe that was some of the problem. And now, most definitely, I've got my big girl pants on. Everyone seems really nice, helpful and friendly - like a place full of like-minded individuals, who just want to do good work and go home to their families. This is a sentiment I can get behind.
See? Jeff even took my "first day of work" pictures in my new dress with the kids - Jack wouldn't pose with me and then got mad because I took away his Paw Patrol game or something. So, most of the week was spent getting acclimated and getting some work done. On Friday, we had an early night. Saturday morning was pretty routine - Jack laid in bed, watching his iPad while I got dressed and Nora destroyed the toilet paper roll...
And we ran out to hit up Target as well - unfortunately, the weather wasn't awesome, so it was more indoor playtime. I am really getting sick of staying inside. I wanted to go to the zoo, I want to go to the park, but it's cool and rainy. Gross.
Anyways, on Saturday night, my nephews came over for a sleepover. It was chaos, but in the best possible way. It was just me, up against four kids. Fortunately, I had "structured" activities planned out - first up, destroy the house and throw toys everywhere. Second, pick up said destruction while I made dinner. Third, dinner, pajamas, and a movie in bed.
The kids were all up early the next morning and, believe it or not, it was much easier to get everyone ready and I was even able to take a shower too. We all went downstairs for a little breakfast - I had gotten donuts for a treat - and everyone, save for Wim, devoured them. Honestly, I couldn't tell you the last time I'd had a donut, but it was good.
My sister came while the kids were finishing up breakfast and I put Nora down for her nap shortly thereafter. I spent the rest of the morning doing laundry, cleaning up, and putting the house back together. Then, we went out to Target to get everything I'd forgotten at the store the day before (seriously, I do this every week - it's awful - and I even make a shopping list) and went home for naps. After Jack "woke" up (truthfully, I don't think he slept) we went across the street for a graduation party. Jack had so much fun playing with other kids, jumping on the trampoline, and eating cake. But, we had to go home and get ready for bed - we were all tired. And, this morning, the kids went to school as Grammy Camp was on hiatus due to vacation this week. I took this video of Jack, singing the "troll" song in the parking lot of school:
Still Frozen obsessed, are we. In any case, I've got another busy week at work - lunch today and Wednesday, trial tomorrow and I'm speaking at a seminar on Thursday. It feels good, honestly, to be appreciated and respected. I don't know that we've got anything exciting for this weekend, but, in two weeks, Grandma Jersey is coming to town!
No comments:
Post a Comment