Kind of, sort of. Nora can walk. Preferred method of transportation is still the crawl, but she can take a step or two in her desired direction before sitting down and crawling. She's also started doing this half-walk/half-crawl thing where she is on all "threes" and propelling herself with one of her legs. Mostly though, she just looks like a sumo wrestler, stomping her feet before a charge. She'll get there though.
She is so anxious to explore everything - and I mean everything. She really digs water and one of my most difficult challenges is to limit her access to the water. For example, I have a recently potty-trained little boy. While we're ecstatic over the fact that we don't need to change his diaper any more, we've been working really hard on flushing the toilet and putting the seat down. You know, good life lessons and whatnot. Plus, Nora follows Jack around like a shadow - so imagine the difficulty when Jack announces, "I have to pee!" and runs into the bathroom. Nora follows after him and tries to get into the toilet before he's flushed and is preoccupied pulling up his pants. Gross. She also loves to crawl over to Blue's dish and dump his water out, so I've had to restrict poor Blue's water when we're home so she doesn't dump it all over herself. They're having "Water Day" at Nana and Boppa's today and I'm sure she's in heaven, playing at the water table with her cousins.
In any case, the weekend was pretty good - Jeff has been working a lot. So much, in fact, that we haven't really seen him much in the past month. He was in Arizona for ten days before coming back - and was usually gone before we woke up in the morning and home after we'd gone to sleep. But he's all done now, or at least for the time being, so it was nice to have him home over the weekend. On Saturday, the kids and I had planned on going swimming, but the weather wasn't all that great, so we went up to the Maple Grove Community Center for a little playtime. It's kind of fun now that Nora can get into playtime, but it's tough because that means I've got to be with her the whole time and Jack is kind of left to his own devices. I think I spent about half my time walking around the play area looking for him, just to make sure he was okay - the kid needs a bell or something. We went to the grocery store and came home to take a nap - although I'm pretty sure Jack did NOT nap, given his antics after he "woke" up. We went to get his hair cut, get a car wash, and I took the kids to Perkins for some pancakes.
Jack also got a few presents from Daddy this weekend - when we were watching my nephews last weekend, Jack's guitar got broken and so, Jeff got him a new one - a "gee-tar" as Jack likes to call it. It was waiting for him when we got home from school on Friday and he took it out back to sit on the deck and play some songs. Watch out ladies...
And, in other news, Jack and Daddy went to their first Twins game at Target Field yesterday. Jeff came home with a ball cap for Jack on Saturday and Jack has NOT taken it off since.
Yesterday morning, the kids and I got up, ate breakfast and then we had to take Nora to urgent care - yet another ear infection. I've got a call in to her pediatrician for a follow-up in two weeks' time, but I know that she's going to need tubes. In fact, I've already called to make a DOUBLE appointment for both of my kids at our favorite pediatric ENT. So, we were the first ones in to the clinic yesterday morning and the doctor walks in, looks at Nora and asks what's wrong. I told him that she had an ear infection and he responded, I kid you not, "I don't think so - she looks too happy and healthy to be sick." And so I asked him to humor me and, sure enough, he was "impressed" with how infected her ears were. Awesome. I'm going to set up the easy plan with my pediatrician - one where I can just call her to get a prescription for an antibiotic until we can get her ears straightened out. Rite of passage, I guess. Anyways, we went to the park while we were waiting for Nora's medication to get filled and then we went home, took care of some stuff around the house, and then I took Jack down to meet Jeff for the ball game.
Nora and I went to get a pedicure and to have the oil changed in the car. We are so exciting. In any case, the boys were home by the time we got home and I guess that Jack couldn't sit still enough to watch baseball. Daddy also made a tactical error - bought Jack a small wooden bat and baseball, which Jack used to try and play croquet and came quite close to hitting a lot of people around their seats. So anyways, Jeff made the decision that a nap would be a more productive use of time. So, Nora had a snack and then we had some playtime together.
We went to sit outside and blow some bubbles and practice our walking. The neighborhood girls came over to sit and play with us and Nora thought she was so cool, hanging out with the ladies. After Jack got up from his nap, I threw the both of them in the wagon and we went to the park to get some wiggles out. Nora LOVED the swing.
Unfortunately, the heavens opened up and we got stuck in the rain on the way back to the house - so we waited it out under some trees for a few minutes before it finally let up. We made it home, got out of our wet clothes and had some supper. The kids were both filthy and, last night, I gave them their first bath together. I don't know why I hadn't done this before - it's much easier. But I've been nervous about letting Nora loose in the tub and, in truth, Jack prefers a shower. But in any case, they both had fun. Nora was mad when I took her out to dry her off. We finished the night with some playtime in the basement while Jeff watched basketball.
And again, the kids are back at Grammy Camp today after a two-week hiatus. I know the kids missed their grandparents - Jack could hardly contain himself this morning when I told him that he got to go to Nana and Boppa's today. When we were pulling up to meet my dad, Jack asked me to roll down his window and started screaming from the road, "Hey Boppa! Hey there!" So I know he'll be one happy - and tired - boy when I pick him up this evening.
And now, I've got to go back and do some work. The new job is going really well - had a busy week and things only seem to be picking up speed.
No comments:
Post a Comment