Mothers really earn their stripes.
This week has had its new challenges, obviously, considering we're a leg down, but I will tell you that I am completely amazed at how children adapt. Adults could really stand to learn a thing or two from kids, I think. So, we've concluded Week One of wearing the cast. He's still frustrated by it, but he's learning how to do things all over again.
He went back to school on Thursday and I was so nervous the entire day. Mostly, I was scared that he'd start crawling and climbing on stuff, fall down, and we'd have a whole new injury to deal with. But, when I went to pick him up on Thursday afternoon, his cast was much dirtier than it was when I dropped him off, and he was happy. What more could I ask for? On Friday, I left work a little early and went to Target to buy him some "touch and talk" books as well as a few Mickey DVDs. I was hoping to find something that would keep him calm and entertained. Afterwards, I went home and got a few things done around the house and picked Jack up to go to his Uncle Brendan and Aunt Lindsey's house for a little party. Well, when I got to school, his teachers told me that he was outside in his red wagon. When I went out to get him, he was walking across the playground! His steps are unsteady and he doesn't string many together, but he can walk for a few feet before he needs to grab onto something to steady himself. I actually think the fact that he can walk makes him feel much better about everything. Still, he has a tough time getting to his feet and the cast will cause him to slip and fall quite frequently, so this really frustrates him to no end. However, I have learned to differentiate between a frustrated cry and a cry of pain. And believe me, there are still quite a few of both. Frustration when the cast slips and pain if he comes down on something when he falls.
See? He's learning how to get around, albeit slowly. Now, let me say something... it's like having a giant man-child-baby all over again. Usually, if I put him down now, he'll stay in the same general area and I won't find him climbing the walls in a different spot. The house also stays much cleaner since he's not running around like a maniac and pulling everything out of cupboards like he typically does. So, while I may be enjoying a bit of reprieve in the pick-up department, I will confess to one thing. My arms are killing me. Jeff teases me because one of the first things I asked the doctor was how much heavier the cast would make Jack. And granted, it doesn't really increase his overall weight, but I've got to carry him a lot more than what I'm used to. He needs to be lifted up more. And he still kicks his little legs, although now...the left one really packs a punch. I am one sore mom. Yet again, I have to keep telling myself that this too, shall pass.
On Friday, like I said, we went down to Uncle Brendan and Aunt Lindsey's for a little party. I had brought along Jack's Pack 'n Play, thinking I might stay a little on the later end, but I think he was pretty worn out from school because he had a melt down of epic proportions and I was so tired, I just decided to go home. As we were getting into the car, I asked Jeff to bet with me on how far we'd get before Jack conked out. And, for the record, we were in the car for about a minute before Jack was snoring from his car seat. On Saturday, we woke up and did our usual chores. I had wanted to take Jack to the zoo, thinking he'd like to see all the animals, but it was a bit on the chillier side. Considering the fact that my little man can only wear shorts right now, we decided to head out to the Mall of America and look at all the fish in Underwater World. Jack looked so depressed sitting in his stroller that Jeff decided to take him out. That perked him right up, but he turned into a total maniac and wanted to "kiss" all the fish...Gross, for several reasons. He's a boy, yes I know this, so kissing fish isn't so out of the ordinary, but all the fish are encased in glass, so he kept trying to kiss the glass. Think of all the germs.
The pictures didn't really turn out the best, considering we were "under water" and the lighting wasn't the best. Afterwards, we had a quick dinner and headed home.
Yesterday was, of course, Mother's Day. One of the most sacred of days. Like I said earlier, mothers really do earn their stripes. Being a parent is not for the weak of heart. So, we got up and went to church to see my grandma and mom. My sister and Wim were also there, so we had a really nice time at the service.
Afterwards, we went up to the club for brunch with my parents. Jack wasn't on his best behavior, but I think it had more to do with the fact that we were getting pretty close to his nap time.
So, we headed home and the whole family laid down for a rest. Not only is parenting hard, but it's also tiring. After we all got up, we went for a family swim. I thought that Jack would really like being in the water, as it would make his leg feel better, and I wasn't wrong. He had so much fun floating and swimming. But again, it really wore him out. So, we came home and had a family dinner and then we all turned in early. I suppose you know it's been a good day in our house if we're all in our pajamas by 8:00 at night.
And today, he's back at Grammy Camp. So, we're getting back into our normal routine, even if it's only for a week or so. I've got next Monday off since my parents will be in Florida and we've got Jack's pre-op physical. And then, I'm out of work the entire following week as I'll be home and caring for my little man after his surgery.
So, I'll just leave you with this. Being a parent is hard work. Being a good parent requires even more effort. But there is nothing else in the world that compares to the kind of reward you receive when you do your part well. There's no right way to be a parent, but as long as your child keeps smiling, laughing, learning, and exploring, you can relax - you're doing something right.
No comments:
Post a Comment