Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A Few More Days to Go...

My parents are vacationing in Florida right now.  As I was talking with my dad yesterday, I told him that we are going back to the orthopedist on Thursday, and hoping that Jack walks out of the office cast-free.   My dad commented that he thought the time had gone by really quickly.  Even if it didn't feel that way for me.  Actually, I think the past two weeks have absolutely flown by.  The cast doesn't really slow Jack down one bit and he can get around quite well.  He can't go up any stairs (thank goodness) but has no problem running around the house, climbing all over everything, and doing his best to get that cast nice and dirty.  

All in all, we had a really nice weekend.  For the most part.  My sister is in Boston right now, and we're watching her dogs.  I never thought I'd really say this, but I do not like them at all.  I don't know what their damage is, but they are two of the most anxiety-addled dogs I've ever encountered.  I just don't get it - one of them barks non-stop and the other one doesn't stop whining.  We had a few days of beautiful weather and I put them all outside for some playtime.  Blue loved rolling around in the grass and trying to chase his playmates.  My sister's dogs hid under the bushes and alternatively barked at anything that appeared even remotely alive.  I'd keep them outside for about an hour and the first thing they'd do is pee when they got in the house.  As I was walking down the stairs on Saturday morning, the stale smell of pee was everywhere.  It got me all bothered because I kept thinking of Jack, sitting on the carpeting, playing around and in it.  So I went to PetSmart and rented a carpet cleaner.  I spent Saturday morning doing errands and consequently, shampooing our carpets and washing the floors.  By the time I was done, everything smelled better.  

But, I should have just waited until those stupid dogs were gone because the smell is back.  The dogs don't like to go outside when it's raining, apparently, and we've had quite a few storms over the past few days.  Therefore, I've been playing "Find the Pee Spot" and I'm losing the game.  The added bonus round this morning was playing "Find the Pile of Poop" which made me insanely late for work.  Honestly, there's nothing worse than stalking around your house, smelling a pile of dog poop, and not being able to find it.    The best part of the weekend was sitting down in a puddle of pee on our nice, new leather sofa.  Fortunately, they leave tonight and I'm just hoping that Blue didn't learn any of their bad habits.  

So, enough about that.  Like I said, we had really nice weather last week, and I put all the dogs outside.  After I got home from work, I'd strip Jack down to his diaper and take him outside to play in his water table.  Seriously, he just loves that thing.  He loves it so much that he tries to crawl in it.  Still, he had a nice time playing and being outside.  His latest and most favorite thing is bubbles.  He actually says, "bubbles" although it sounds more like, "boo-boo?  boo-boo?" and this is usually him asking me to blow bubbles for him.  I bought him his very own container of bubbles that don't spill if you tip the container over.  He occasionally tries to blow his own bubbles, but he really likes it if I blow the bubbles.  Blue likes it too.  He'll jump up and try to eat the bubbles, which Jack thinks is nothing short of hysterical.  Below, I've attacked a picture of the naked baby and his puppy, working hard at blowing bubbles.  


Our Friday night was pretty quiet.  On Saturday, I did our usual chores and spent a good chunk of the morning on our carpets and floors.  After Jack woke up from his nap, I went to get a pedicure and Jeff took Jack to the shopping mall to walk around.  Jeff and I had the Federal Judges Dinner and Dance on Saturday night, so we got all dressed up and Jack got to hang out with a baby sitter.  Jeff and I had a really nice time, considering that it was a work-related event.  We laughed a lot.  It's nice to remember that you still like your husband, huh?      

On Sunday morning, Jeff let me sleep in as late as I wanted to - one of my requests for Mother's Day.  And let me tell you, I slept!  It was great "sleeping" weather - there was a thunder storm outside, so it remained pretty dark and the sound of rain let me sleep the morning away.  I must have needed the rest because I didn't get up until after 9:30 that morning.  I took a shower and went downstairs and got a big hug from my boys.  And three dogs (two anxious ones) were there to greet me as well.  Jack and I puttered around the house and he was absolutely fascinated by the rain.  He kept going to the window and looking outside.  He would point and make some unintelligible noise and then run away laughing.  


His latest (and most favorite) toy is a Spider-Man bear that Jeff's cousin, Sharon, had made for Jack.  He loves this bear.  He was pretty excited when it came for him and he spent most of the weekend carrying it around from room to room.  The bear also goes into his crib at nighttime, and more often than not, I'll find it tucked under his arm or head and he will talk to the bear in the morning.  When I went in to get him dressed this morning, he was holding the bear at arms length and obviously engaged in telling quite a funny story.  


Yesterday, the bear made the trip with us to visit Gampy at the hospital.  He had his knee replaced yesterday, so Jack decided to pay him a little visit.  Jack was ever the charmer, and was pretty content to have a snack and watch a Mickey on the iPad.  Occasionally, he would interrupt the conversation with something very important he had to share.  He and Gampy also traded war stories about their bum legs...


Yesterday, we had Jack's pre-operative physical in advance of his surgery next Tuesday.  He is 34" tall and weighs 40lbs - with the cast on.  I guess I know why my arm has been bothering me so much.  He is one heavy boy, let me tell you...and like I said before, we go back to the orthopedist on Thursday and will hopefully get the cast off then.  This weekend is Memorial Day, of course, and then we go in for surgery on Tuesday.  I'll be staying overnight with Jack in the hospital, of course, so I might not be able to update for a while.  

Do you think the hospital will let me sleep with Jack in the crib?

No comments:

Post a Comment