I can't believe that I'm writing another update like this - and for so many reasons.
In looking back over the past sixteen months or so, Jack's relatively young life has been peppered with random acts of violence. And yesterday was another unfortunate example when two bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. I have been both a participant and a spectator when it comes to marathons. I may or may not run one ever again, but I can tell you first hand the kind of joy and elation you feel when you cross that finish line. Even if it wasn't a job well done. Unfortunately, I can also tell you first hand about the kind of terror that grips you when you realize your loved ones are missing in the midst of an attack like this. It's hard to describe, but it doesn't abate, even after you've held your family in your arms and realized that they are safe. Reading some of the accounts of yesterday's tragedy really brings up my father's account of his first few minutes after escaping from the World Trade Centers almost twelve years ago.
Fortunately, Jack is still too young to comprehend what happened yesterday, and obviously has no idea what a "bomb" actually is. But he won't always be small. And the sad comment is that this isn't going to stop happening. It terrifies me and I try so hard not to let the fear control me. Otherwise, my family would have been sequestered in our house long ago. I often think that Minnesota is a relatively safe place to be - not much happens here, I guess. But I can think back to August when a man shot up his former place of employment. I remember when high school was cancelled - for me - because of bomb threats and a "kill list" that was circulated in the weeks following Columbine.
How can I deal with this as a parent? Oftentimes, I marvel at the amount of trust I put into other people to care for my child. I trust babysitters, relatives, and the teachers at his school. As Jack grows, I'll put my faith in his bus drivers, his schoolteachers, and his coaches. I trust every single one of these people with my most precious thing. There's a quote making its way around the Internet today - it's from Mr. Rodgers, supposedly, but it talks about when tragedy strikes, you should always look for the helpers. Because they're always there. The photos and accounts I've read from yesterday's tragedy show people helping each other - and running into the face of danger. I think, when it boils down to it, there is only a small sliver of this world that is truly evil. The overwhelming population is good and will overcome in tragedy.
Anyways, last Thursday, Minnesota was hit by a blizzard. Yes, a blizzard. A big, flipping blizzard. I had to fly out to Chicago on Thursday morning and my flight was delayed by almost three hours. I hate flying to begin with - and guess what? I hate flying even more when there's a blizzard going on outside my window. Still, I made it to Chicago safe and sound and there were no problems on my return flight either. I made it home in time to pick Jack up from school and I actually stayed awake long enough to watch Lincoln with Jeff.
Unfortunately, it's still flipping freezing here, so we really didn't get to do anything outside - and this mama is going stir-crazy! I would give anything to open up our windows and let some fresh air in the house. Or to take Jack and Blue for a walk when we get home. But, I still have to bundle up every day in my winter jacket and the heat is still blowing, full force, in my car. On Saturday, I met up with my family for some breakfast and making good on our Christmas present to my mom, while Jack and Jeff went down to the Children's Museum. When I got home, Jeff couldn't stop talking about the museum - calling it "the best babysitter ever." So, Jack and I did some chores while Jeff went to the gym and then we all went out to eat at the Macaroni Grille. Jeff had commented that Jack hadn't really napped all that well earlier in the day, and you could see the cracks starting to show when we were at the restaurant. On top of it, Jack absolutely did not want to eat - which is unheard of. He actually fell asleep in the car on the way home from the restaurant, and Jeff was able to put him down quickly when we got home. In any case, about forty-five minutes after Jack went to sleep, he woke up and was screaming his head off. I went upstairs only to find that he had puked all over his crib and himself. Poor pumpkin. I picked him up from his crib, and he threw up all over me. Poor mommy.
Anyways, Jeff and I did some quick work - Jeff stripped the bed and washed the sheets while I got Jack into the tub for a bath. You could just tell he wasn't feeling well and all he wanted was his mommy. Eventually, we got him to sleep in the Pack 'n Play in our room. Jeff slept downstairs with the dog while I kept a vigil over Jack. Fortunately, we didn't have any more puking incidents - from him, at least. On Sunday, I could tell he wasn't feeling his best. He really just wanted to sit on his tricycle and push it around the house - so we stayed close to home. However, Jeff came back from work and suggested a little trip to the mall. Jack had slept for about three hours and seemed up to his old tricks again, so off we went! However, at dinner, I started to get a terrible headache and then I ended up getting sick later that night.
So, I spent yesterday in bed, watching the news coverage from Boston. Jeff did the drop-off and pick-up from Grammy Camp. And, when he got home, he promptly got sick. I always think that every time I catch one of Jack's bugs that I've never been more sick in my life. Until the next time I get sick. At my worst, I was seriously considering running out in traffic or stabbing myself in the hand with a fork just so I could think about something else. Fortunately, I think we're all on the mend in our house, if a little bit peckish still.
Anyways, I didn't really take that many pictures of Jack this week, if you can believe it! His latest thing is to tell Blue to "get down" when he tries to steal food from his tray. It's pretty cute...
We also continue to work on our feeding skills - mostly, Jack will absolutely not let anyone assist him any longer in putting food in his mouth. He must do it all by himself. This is oftentimes an epic fail.
Finally, he also learned a new "trick" while Daddy was manning the home front. When we moved into our current house, my parents gave us this gorgeous coffee table that we keep in our living room. It has drawers on it that Jack likes to pull out. Apparently, while under Daddy's watch, he decided that he was going to start climbing into the drawers...
The problem is, that once he gets in there, he can't figure out how to get himself out. Which results in screaming until someone forcibly removes him.
And that's about it. Like I said, it sounds like my post was on repeat - blah blah weather, blah blah, we're sick. It's Daddy's birthday this weekend and we're so excited to celebrate. We're going out to dinner with our friends on Saturday night (actually they were in the Boston Marathon - they're fine, don't worry) so I can't wait to hear their story. On Sunday, Jeff has requested that he be allowed to go to the gym and then the rest of the day is his to decide what we do. So, hopefully I'll remember to take some good pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment