I have been so wrapped up in finishing up an appellate brief, that the minute I push work aside for the day, the last thing I want to do is write some more! So, I apologize for not getting an update out earlier this week, but I'm glad I waited - we've got some stuff to share.
So, as anyone who's kept up with Jack knows that we have been fighting what seems to be a never-ending battle with ear infections. And we seem to be on the losing end of these fights. Our last ENT really didn't have much to offer us by way of additional treatments or remedies, and basically said we just needed to learn how to "live" with these chronic infections. Obviously, this is completely unacceptable to me. If you haven’t really dealt with chronic
ear infections, you have no idea how time consuming and expensive they can
be. It requires time off from work because Jack can’t go to school.
We have to go to the doctor, and then pay for antibiotics and ear drops.
And, the ear drops Jack uses are $50.00 a pop - with insurance - so it’s quite
costly, especially when you’re shelling out that kind of money every two
weeks. To say nothing of the fact that my poor buddy is in pain, he’s
lost momentum with his speech and I've had serious concerns that he
will develop permanent hearing damage. So, the fact that we just had to
live with it wasn't really acceptable.
One of my girlfriends gave me the name of her pediatric ENT. This doctor only works on kids with ear problems. It took us a month to get in to see him,
which I think is a good thing. It means he’s a really good doctor and in
high demand! So, we went in for our appointment yesterday. First off, they ran Jack through a
hearing test. He did okay, but he’s definitely got some hearing
loss. He sat on my lap in a sound proof room and they play noises on
either side of the room to get him to turn his head so they can evaluate his ears individually. He was so patient and calm when they were running the test,
but it was so hard for me not to point and tell him to turn his head, especially
when I can hear the noise and I know he's unable to.
Afterwards,
we met with a nurse, and she asked us a whole bunch of questions about the
problems we've had over the past year with his ears. Then, the doctor came
in and examined Jack. First off, his current tubes are completely plugged
up and he has another double ear infection. I had no clue, which makes me feel absolutely terrible. Anyways, the doctor also told me that his current tubes are basically non-functioning. He
also said that his adenoids are completely rotten and were really
swollen. So, he recommended another surgery. He’s
going to place another kind of tube in Jack’s ears – different from the ones he
has now. Apparently, they’re a bit larger, which would allow for
better draining, and they’re more permanent so they won’t fall out or shift as
easily. Additionally, the doctor recommended taking out Jack’s adenoids to allow for more space around the Eustachian tube and his mastoids,
which again allows things to drain better. The doctor also put him on a
course of antibiotics for the next month. After he finishes up the
antibiotics, he goes in for the surgery. The doctor told us it’s really
important to have the surgery soon as possible after finishing the antibiotics so as to
prevent another infection from developing.
So, we've got the surgery scheduled for the end of next month at Children’s Hospital
in St. Paul. Jack will stay overnight and I’ll stay with him, of
course. I’m really nervous, obviously, but I’m hopeful that this will
help. After the surgery, he has to stay out of daycare for about a week, as I guess removing the adenoids creates some kind of disequilibrium, and it will take a while for him to readjust. But, he should be just fine after that. I really liked this doctor. He laid out a wonderful plan for
me yesterday, telling me that even if this surgery doesn't work, we don’t have to
just “live” with it – there are other things we can do. The fact that
there are options makes me feel a lot better. Jack's hearing and speech should also drastically improve and hopefully return to normal after the surgery as well.
Anyways, on to better things! The weather here has been terrible - it's been cold and we actually had not one, but TWO, blizzards over the past ten days. It's like Mother Nature forgot that spring was supposed to happen. I took this picture from our kitchen on Tuesday - yes, the snow is beautiful, but enough already!
Fortunately, it's an absolutely beautiful day here - not a cloud in the sky - and it's going to warm up throughout the day. We're also supposed to have a stellar weekend. I'm going to lock us out of the house so we can be outside. I dropped Jeff off at the airport this morning - he's going to a bachelor party in New Orleans this weekend, so it's just me and Jack flying solo.
Jack has been adjusting well to his new classroom. He still has his moments though where he doesn't want me to leave, but for the most part, he's excited to get to school and play every day. There's something to be said about a "mob mentality" at his school. For example, he naps for about two hours every day on a cot. There is no possible way I could ever get him to do that at home. He also sits at a table to eat his meals, and again, there's no way he would ever do this for me. Jack makes art projects too - something he has no interest in doing outside of school. Last week, I was the proud recipient of my first macaroni and glitter art.
Last weekend, we were busy in spite of the weather. On Saturday morning, we woke up and went over to St. Paul to have breakfast with all my girlfriends. Jack was pretty proud of the fact that he was the only guy there, and was quite the ladies man...
Can you spot him at the end of the table? On Saturday night, we went up to Maple Grove to have dinner with some friends of ours. It took a while to get a table, so we did a little shopping. Jack really seemed to get into the delicates at Victoria's Secret!
On Sunday, Jeff had a birthday. He requested that he be allowed to go to the gym, so Jack and I went to church. Afterwards, we got home and spent some time cooking and getting things ready for Jeff's birthday party. We had a really great time celebrating with family and friends. At Jeff's request, my mom made him a carrot cake and even brought candles for Jeff to blow out and make a wish.
And that's about it - like I said, I've been so consumed with finishing this appellate brief that I feel like I haven't had much time to do anything else. Fortunately, that got filed yesterday, so it feels really good to get that off my plate. And I'll just leave you with these two pictures of my little funny man...
No comments:
Post a Comment