I don't have much time to write this morning. I stayed home with Jack as we had his pre-op physical this morning, which meant I got to the office late and I still have to work for a living! In any case, Jack was cleared for surgery, so I guess we're just going to get ready for Thursday! I'm starting to get a bit nervous. This shouldn't really surprise me, but everyone I talk to about the ear tube surgery seems to have an opinion. Most people tell me that it was the best thing they could have done for their child. One or two people have told me that it didn't help. And, I'd like to thank one individual for telling me a particularly horrific story about his son's ear tubes and getting an infection that almost killed him after swimming in a lake. Which is why I've been pro-chlorine my whole life. I suppose people always have an opinion about everything. So, I'm choosing to ignore the negativity and focus on the positive outcome that I know this surgery will bring. Still, he's so little...sort of...
Jack weighed in today at just about 23lbs and is 30" in length. Overall, he's huge and in the words of his pediatrician, a "real bruiser." As if I should expect anything less with the genes this kid has. He's constantly on the go and I'd actually expect him to be a little more on the "lighter" side of things since he doesn't stop moving. I am always on the look out for activities we can do and places we can go to keep him entertained.
On Friday, Jeff had a big deposition and I had trial, so by the time we both got home we were literally brain-dead and it was all we could do to keep our eyes open until it was time for Jack to go to bed. On Saturday, we got up early and did all our chores and then Jack and I went to the park after his morning nap. This kid just cracks me up. I seem to use the park as a gauge for his "growing up" and every time I take him, I'm more amazed at what he can do. He can swing all by himself (in the baby swing, duh), and is starting to get the hang of a rocking train (or whatever, there's a picture). Jack also likes to stand up and shuffle along some of the equipment. He still likes going down the slide with me, but is really fascinated with the wood chips. I don't know what it is, but he really doesn't pick anything up off his high chair to feed himself. He will get the Cheerios in between his fingers, but doesn't always put them in his mouth. With the wood chips, it's a different story and those go straight into his mouth. Go figure. So, here we are at the park:
He had a pretty good time, if I do say so myself. Afterwards, we headed home and we had a quick afternoon catnap and then headed out to the Mall of America to Underwater World. The whole attraction is kind of pricey (I think it was $15.00 for me - and I had a coupon!) but after we were finished, I considered it money well spent! Jack loved everything - he couldn't stop looking around, screaming at everything he saw, and hitting the glass. He loved looking at the jellyfish and in the aquarium, he kept grunting every time a shark or stingray swam over our heads. My favorite part was the giant sea turtle that swam right up to the glass. I tried to get Jack to take a picture with it, but he wasn't having it and was more focused on a nearby shark:
Even though it's not his best picture, how cool is that turtle? Afterwards, we walked around the mall in search of a fall coat for him, made a trip through Lego Land and Nickelodeon Universe. Jack just loved looking around at everything. We then met up with Jeff for a quick dinner and then it was back to home since it was WAY past all of our bedtimes!
On Sunday, we went to church to visit with Great-Grammy and Great-Grampy. Jack was not well-behaved during church. He was all over the place, spilled his Cheerios, and started squawking at several inappropriate times. Still, he didn't cry, so that's something...we went home, and then met up with my sister and Wim at the Como Zoo. My sister and I were trying to remember if we'd ever been to that zoo as kids, but we couldn't recall. Regardless, they have some really cool animals there - lions, tigers. bears (oh my!), ostriches, giraffes, gorillas...the list goes on. Jack was into some of the animals, but again appeared to be more interested in what was going on around him. We had a good time, Wim had some diaper issues, but it was nice to spend time with family.
We've got a busy week ahead of us and I've got two depositions and an office day before the big surgery on Thursday. I'm hoping we have a relatively calm week and weekend and Jack makes it through with flying colors! Still, think of us on Thursday morning and say a prayer for Jack, his surgeon, and one for me too...
No comments:
Post a Comment