Monday, July 28, 2014

Forty Weeks and One Day...

I'm home, sitting on our couch and watching my most favorite movies of all time.  I've watched Never Been Kissed three times over the past two days and now I've moved on to Can't Buy Me Love.  Next up, Sixteen Candles.  Or a nap.  I think that when I was pregnant with Jack, I compared going over my due date to finishing a marathon and then being told you've still got another ten miles to go.  Duckie said last Friday that I could go into labor any time - which means that it could be five minutes from now, tomorrow night or next week.  Hopefully not next week.  I might lose my mind if I'm pregnant for another week.    

I don't know what's worse - the first few weeks of pregnancy or the last.  It sort of feels like I'm in senior slide mode - all my work is done, for the most part.  I go into the office every day for a few hours, answer some emails, return calls if I have any (although my voicemail now says that I'm on maternity leave), go through my mail and then come home.  Seriously, there's nothing for me to do - everyone assumes that I'm out on leave at this point, no work is coming in and all my files have been assigned out to other attorneys in my firm.     

Our weekend was pretty low-key as you probably would expect.  I spent most of the time being crabby, laying on the couch and avoiding the telephone.  I really have to give my family some credit - they are all being so patient with me.  Especially Jeff.  My poor, sweet husband.  He's really borne the brunt of my hormonal "inconsistencies" so well this past week.  He's done a great job of picking up my slack and making sure that I'm well taken care of and as comfortable as I can be.  

On Saturday, my parents came up and helped move furniture back onto our deck and stayed for some breakfast.  I made scones.  Again.  I'm really digging them.  I think that, if there's been one consistency in both of my pregnancies, it's been the craving for baked goods and pastries.  Jeff and Jack went to the gym while I cleaned the house and washed everything in the house that could be washed.  Again.  After nap time, we took Jack for a haircut and then went to the mall to walk around and have dinner.  

Yesterday, we went for breakfast and then Jeff helped me pick out a new laptop at Best Buy.  The boys went back to the gym and then came home for a long nap.  We spent the rest of the night bumming around the house.  Like I said, we're not really that exciting right now - but that will change soon.  


    
Jack's vocabulary has really increased over the past few weeks and he's really into music lately.  He likes to listen to his Mickey CD (specifically the Drake songs) while driving in my car, but he loves listening and singing to Wagon Wheel in his daddy's car.  It's so fun to listen to him try and figure out the words to songs and sing along.  He's also quite bossy - and tells me frequently to "Look at me when I'm talking to you" and "You need to take a break, Mommy."  I wonder where he gets those sentences from...

He's also turned quite clingy - I'm not sure if it's because he knows that his world is going to change drastically or if that's just the stage he's at.  He loves spending Saturday mornings with his Daddy.  He came into our room on Saturday morning, looking for Jeff.  I happened to still be in bed, but Jeff was downstairs in the basement getting some writing done.  I could hear Jack walk into our bedroom, inspect Jeff's side of the bed and then make his way downstairs to see Daddy.  I got up a little while later, and my boys were snuggled on the couch watching Frozen.  It was adorable.  But yesterday, after Jack got up from his nap, all he wanted was to cuddle with me.  

Anyways, that's about it - I guess no news is BAD news, depending on what perspective you're looking at things from.  But I head back to see Duckie tomorrow and it's going to take all my restraint not to beg for an induction.  But hopefully, I won't need it, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment