Jack had his 30-month well visit today. He is, officially, bigger than all the babies out there. He was 39 3/4 inches tall and weighed 45 pounds. This puts him in the "100%+" percentile, which means he's a freak of nature. Not really, obviously, but he is one big - and energetic - little kid. Fortunately, his speech finally seems to be coming around and the doctor got a kick out of everything that he was telling her. He also enjoyed showing off all of his "skills" for her - following directions (yes, he does do this), making animal noises, and doing his numbers. He also had a lot to say about his baby sister - I told him that he needed to practice being a good boy at the doctor so he could show his baby sister how it's done, and he shared a lot of information about this with his pediatrician. He talked about how Mommy holds the baby in her belly, what her name is going to be, and how she would have to go to the doctor too. Honestly, it's like having a running commentary on everything we're doing these days.
Speaking of which - we've obviously talked to Jack a lot about how there's a baby coming soon. He seems to think that everyone holds a baby in their belly, because he points to his stomach quite frequently and tells me there's a baby in there. He also does this to Jeff. However, whenever he talks about how I have a baby in my tummy, he needs to pull up my shirt. So, we were at Target on Saturday and we were shopping for a few nursery items. I was talking to Jack about what we were buying and where it'd be going and he pulls up my dress in the middle of the store to point to my stomach, telling me that there's a baby in there. Awesome.
Anyways, we got back from Arizona on Wednesday night and we returned to some beautiful weather here in Minnesota. Finally. My mom came up for dinner on Thursday night and Jack was so excited to see his Nana. I was too - it was nice to catch up with her, and I loved having her there to entertain the monster while I got dinner ready. I put Jack's water table together outside and he's been having a blast playing in it every night. He also likes playing in his sandbox. But the two of them together means I've got a disgusting, dirty little man on my hands just about every night. Which means he needs a bath every single night. This is hard for me to do these days because I have a tough time getting down and bending over the tub. On Thursday, Nana took over bath duty, which made things a whole lot easier for me. She helped get Jack to bed and then left. Jack kept asking if Nana was going to come lay down with him. It was pretty cute.
We spent some more time outside on Friday after school. I didn't really feel like cooking, so I ordered a pizza and Jack and I had a picnic outside. However, its tough to keep him sitting in one spot - he kept getting out of his chair to run around, smell flowers, find Blue, or you know, any reason to keep from sitting still for too long.
On Saturday, we got up and Jack requested pancakes for breakfast. We spent the rest of the day, running errands and getting things ready for a big cook-out we were going to have with our friends on Saturday night. Well, just as I put Jack down for his nap, the sky opened up and rained hours. The thunder was loud and the lights kept flickering in our house and I kept thinking that, at the same time last year, our basement flooded. So, I was constantly going down in the basement to check the sump pump. Well, nothing happened, obviously, and everyone came over for a "cook-in" instead. I had told Jack that, when he woke up from his nap, his friends were going to come over. He was so excited that he sat by our front window, watching for his friends to come. He had so much fun playing with all the kids and was so great at sharing his toys. He loved entertaining the little girls, making them laugh, and chasing the bigger kids around the basement. He also got a kick out of my girlfriend's rain boots. He kept trying to put them on and walk, but they were too big for him. So, he'd get them on, stand up and try and take a step and fall over. This would make him laugh hysterically.
On Sunday, Jeff had to go to Wisconsin for a deposition, so Jack and I went to church and then went to McDonalds for some playtime. He played so hard. He was an absolute sweaty mess by the time we left. He loved climbing to the top of the playground and yelling, "Hi Mommy!" before running away to find the slide. We made it home in time for a nap. Jack informed me as we were driving home that he did not want to take a nap. I told him that I needed a nap too. That stuck in his head for whatever reason because when we got home, he tried to put ME down for a nap. He took my hand, led me upstairs, asked if I needed to go tee-tee boy, and tried to tuck me into bed. I told him, instead, that he should go potty, and that I'd lay down with him for a little bit. That worked like a charm and he was out like a light about thirty seconds after his head hit the pillow. After nap, we played outside with Blue for a bit.
He got so filthy playing with the dog that he went straight into the tub. I actually stripped him outside and carried him directly upstairs to the bathroom.
Anyways, because it's been so nice out (and because Jack gets so dirty), I strip him down to go outside and play. However, the poor kid has been mauled by mosquitoes. Seriously, his back is absolutely covered in welts. The bites swell up to the size of golf balls. There's nothing I can really do about this, but I think the bites bother me more than they bother Jack. So, he's been getting regular doses of Benadryl every night and I bought out the citronella aisle at Target on Saturday.
I had my 32 week appointment with Duckie last Friday as well - and the placenta previa has resolved, which is great news. Baby Storms also looks fantastic - she's a big girl already and Duckie says she'll probably weigh between seven and eight pounds by the time she's born. Which, again, is some time in July. My "official" due date isn't until July 27th, but Duckie thinks I'll have her sooner than that. Fine by me. We're pretty much set as far as things go - we still need to bring all the baby stuff up from the basement and get it set up around the house (i.e. the Pack 'n Play, baby swing, car seat, etc.) and I'm still trying to find some pictures to hang in her room. But, we've got diapers, burp cloths, clothes (thanks Nana!), and a crib. So, game on. I'm ready when she is.
No comments:
Post a Comment