Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sugar and Spice...

I had been waiting to write this week because we had our 20 week ultrasound this morning.  And I'm quite pleased to announce that it looks like we'll be welcoming a little girl in July.  Sometime in July.  Unfortunately, I've got a condition called placenta previa - which isn't serious yet, but it can be if it doesn't resolve.  In a lot of medical mumbo-jumbo and girly stuff, my placenta is too low, which means I can't have the baby naturally.  Fortunately, as Baby Girl grows, my placenta should move and everything should be fine.  If it doesn't, then they'll schedule a c-section when I'm about 36 weeks pregnant - which is kind of scary, since that's less than four months away and I haven't done anything to get ready for her arrival yet.  In addition, because I've been having so many problems just being pregnant this time around anyways, they were talking about scheduling a c-section at 36 weeks regardless.  So, my body has some work to do if I can expect to have any hope of delivering Baby Girl naturally.  If the scales balance in my favor, she's due to arrive on July 27th... if not, I guess we'll have a baby on the Fourth of July which would be pretty cool.  So, they'll keep a close eye on me - check my blood levels regularly and I'll get routine ultrasounds for the next several weeks (which pleases me to no end) and hopefully I can avoid bed rest and preterm labor.  Unfortunately, it feels like I've been on an express train to just that destination.  But anyways, today is a good day and I'll take it for what its worth.  So, here's Baby Girl Storms, sitting pretty at just under 21 weeks:


When we were pregnant with Jack, both Jeff and I swore that we could tell he had Jeff's nose just by the ultrasound.  This time around, Jeff still is confident that Baby Girl has his nose, but I remain undecided at this point.  I don't know - you be the judge.  I think she's got my profile.  She's also been named since I was about ten years old, so I'm glad that's taken care of.  I don't know what we would have named the kid if it had turned out to be a boy.  He would have been eighteen and Jeff and I still would have been arguing over what to call him.  

Anyways, Jack remains blissfully unaware that a baby is coming in just a few short months.  We try and talk to him about the baby, but he doesn't really care to process the information.  I've got a few books on becoming a big brother, but he won't sit still to look at them.  He knows that his mom has been sick and likes to bring me my water bottle and tells me quite frequently to take my medicine.  He's been pretty good about keeping his energy levels in check this past week, although he has developed quite the attitude.  He's also got tons of new words and the things that come out of his mouth just make me laugh.  

Anyways, his favorite food continues to be his "moo-mes" although I think he likes them more for the fact that he gets to lick the spoon after I'm done putting everything into the blender.  He thinks this is awesome and dances around the kitchen until I hand him the spoon:


His face is covered here in Nutella and peanut butter.  He definitely digs on that.  

Anyways, I started getting sick on Friday afternoon, so I had an appointment with Duckie and came home and got into bed.  Jeff picked Jack up from school and we all had a pajama party in bed where Jack continued to practice the art of the selfie:


He's getting better at it, I think.  Anyways, on Saturday I had to go back to the doctor for some more blood tests and then spent the day in the hospital getting IV fluids and nutrition.  I told you, this kid has been difficult.  I can only imagine the headaches she'll give me in fifteen years.  Anyways, Jack and Jeff had a "boys" day - which included going to the gym and out for pancakes.  

I was feeling better on Sunday, so Jeff left to go to the office and I told Jack that we'd have an adventure.  We got up to get dressed and he ran into the bathroom to go potty.  He did his "tee-tee boi" and I asked him if he could try going poopy.  He screamed, "Poopy!  Yeah!"  and proceeded to grunt, let out a huge toot, and then laugh hysterically.  Apparently, farting is just inherently funny to boys.  Anyways, Jack looks up at me and says, "I can't, Mama.  It's stuck."  Go figure.  I should mention that everything is "stuck" these days.  He tells me he's "stuck" when I buckle him into his car seat.  He will, rather frequently, get himself stuck in between the railing on our staircase and scream out that he's "stuck" until I come and get him.  He'll wedge himself in between the couch and the wall and do the same thing.  He tells me he's "stuck" if he can't get his feet out from under a blanket or if he doesn't like the way he's tucked in at night.  Everything, and I'm telling you, everything is "stuck" these days.    

Anyways, after we got dressed, we went out to run to the grocery store.  Afterwards, I ended up taking him to McDonald's Playland for some fun running around.  I can honestly tell you that I have brought Jack to McDonald's exactly once in his life - and it was like a year ago.  So, imagine my surprise when we pull up to the restaurant, he looks up and says, "Oh, Mama!  McDonald's!"  like he's been there a thousand times before.  I seriously don't know where he learned that.  Behold, the power of advertising, possibly...

Anyways, Jack played like a total maniac in the play area.  He ended up falling asleep in the car on the way home, which hasn't happened in a while.  He took a killer nap and when we got up, we went to meet Daddy for dinner.  

Monday was an okay day for me - I was a bit tired so I headed home from work on the earlier side to rest.  And it was gorgeous outside.  The sun was shining, it was warm - it was awesome.  So, I got Jack from school and took him outside to play.  He currently loves playing with a football that he found in Jeff's closet.  He had so much fun throwing the football and running up and down the street with it.  We took Blue outside with us too, and Jack loved throwing the tennis balls for Blue and running around with him.  His favorite part about being outside, however, are the puddles.  He loves puddles.  Loves to jump, splash, wade and just hang out in them.  However, the ones here in Minnesota are currently HUGE.  So, what does he do?  Dives headfirst into one, soaking himself from head to toe.  That effectively ended our playtime because he was freezing, yet I still dragged a screaming, dirty kid inside - he did NOT want to go back to the house.  So, we ended up taking an early bath and eating dinner late.  

Yesterday, Jeff had to go to a dinner so I took Jack out on a "date" to Perkins.  It's our favorite restaurant, apparently.  Plus, kids eat free there on Tuesdays, so it's kind of a no-brainer.  Anyways, here we are on our big date:



We had a good time and we talked a lot about what it would be like to be a big brother and that it's going to be a lot of fun with a new baby in the house.  Again, Jack could care and was like, "fine, fine.  There's a baby coming - where's my Mickey at?"  After dinner, we came home and got into our jammies and hung out in bed, reading stories.  So, this is my favorite new trick of Jack's - while "Row Row Your Boat" is still a favorite jam, he currently loves singing "If You're Happy and You Know It" and asks me all the time to sing him the "Happy" song.  I discovered this almost by accident - it was a song on one of his Mickey CDs, and it got stuck in my head one day.  I was singing it when we got in the house, and Jack looked at me when I started the song and got the biggest grin on his face.  It was like he was so excited that I knew that song too.  So, I started singing it, and he knew all the actions.  Seriously, the cutest thing I've ever seen:


Anyways, I think that's it - he's at such a cool stage right now.  I just love it.  He's so happy all the time, loves to give out hugs and kisses and says some of the funniest stuff.  Here he is with his Ms. Lala - his favorite teacher at school:

  
I go back to see Duckie on Friday and I'm sure he'll have all sorts of stern warnings for me.  Part of me doesn't wonder if this placenta previa business is why I've had such a rough go of things.  Every doctor I've seen seems to strongly suggest that I refrain from having any more children.  At this point, I'm certainly happy to comply!  This weekend, my nephew turns two years old - I can't believe it.  We've got his birthday party on Saturday and then I think I might try and take Jack to the Mall of America on Sunday to go on some rides.  Plus, I need to find a pair of maternity pants.  Boo.  Hiss.  And, given the fact that we could have a baby here in less than four months, I suppose I should start getting her room in order...

No comments:

Post a Comment