I went back to work exactly one year ago today.
I thought about this on my drive into work this morning. I remember how much I cried during those first few days and weeks back to work. I remember how stressful it was and how I just didn't feel like I was being a good mother, or even a good attorney, for that matter. When I was at work, I was missing my little boy and when I was home, I was stressed about work.
I remember my mom telling me that if I was happy in whatever I was doing, then Jack would be happy too. I've thought a lot about this over the past year and it has been some of the best advice I've been given, both for my career and in parenting
If I was perfectly honest, it took me a while to get "happy" again. I don't know when the tides turned, but one day I woke up, and realized that I was satisfied with what I was doing. Maybe I just needed to get into a routine and adjust to being a working mother, but I'm happy. It helps that Jack really loves going to school every day. Moreover, the fact that I have a flexible job and an accommodating employer is equally important.
Everyone strives to achieve the perfect balance between work and family. Well, I'm here to tell you that it's impossible. One area will always take precedence over the other. Your life will sometimes be dominated with work, and other days your family will demand your full attention.
And this will always be the best part of my day...
No comments:
Post a Comment