We had Jack's one-year appointment today. He's still a baby giant. He weighs 26lbs now, and is 32 inches tall. He's solidly in the 95th percentile for height, weight, and head circumference. He's hit or exceeded all his developmental milestones. The doctor told me that he's absolutely perfect - albeit, a bruiser - and I couldn't agree more. He got three shots today, so he was a pretty miserable little guy as we headed over to Nana and Papa's for a day of Grammy Camp.
Today is also a big day - we've stopped giving him bottles. I've been weaning him down over the past several weeks, but today we went cold turkey - I told my mom to put a bottle full of water in the crib with him at nap time, but I don't think he was having it and cried for a while before finally falling asleep. He's started on whole milk, which he seems to enjoy, but I think there's something he finds comforting about going down for a nap or bed time with a bottle. I think we've got a few trying days ahead of us as we all learn to adjust.
So, as I reported previously, Grandma Terry came into town to visit us on Wednesday night. Jack hadn't had the best day with naps while at school, so he was a bit of a pickle. Still, he managed a few shy looks at his Grandma before we finally had to put him to bed. On Thursday, I worked for part of the day, and then Grandma and I sprung Jack early from school and headed to the play area at the mall. Jack played for a little bit, but I think he was getting tired. We then went over to my parents' house so they could give him his birthday present. They got him a very cool car that he can ride and push himself around on. Right now, he likes pushing the buttons on the car and getting them to make noise. He'll also ride around on the car if someone is pushing him, but he doesn't like to scoot around by himself just yet.
Anyways, when we got home, there was a big box from his Unkie Chris and Aunt Kate at the front door. They got him his very own easy chair. Jack just loved it and would keep walking over to it and sitting down. I said that all we need to do now is give him a remote control and then he's a true Storms boy!
On Friday, Grandma, Jeff and I took Jack to Macy's Santa Land to see the display and to sit on Santa's lap. Jack had a great time running around and looking at the displays. He really loved this one where the elves were waking up, and he kept running back to look at it some more. He was just in awe of everything. And, I'm pleased to report that he did pretty well with Santa as well. We rushed into the room, I shoved Jack on Santa's lap, and the lady just started snapping pictures. It took Jack a few minutes before he realized that he was not being held by his grandma, mom, or dad and then he really started to wail. But, by then, we'd gotten enough good pictures, so I'd call it a success.
Here is is, waiting to see Santa Claus...
On Saturday, we had a photographer come to the house and take his one-year pictures. The photographer had brought a cup cake, so I stripped Jack down to his diaper and let him go nuts. He completely demolished the whole cup cake, and even Blue got in on the action. I think the pictures will be pretty cute. Anyways, we spent the rest of the day getting ready for the party. Grandpa Scott and Jeff installed a gate at the bottom of our stairs, which was absolutely necessary, given Jack's penchant for climbing anything and everything.
Everyone started to come over around 4:00 that afternoon. I always get all worked up when I'm having people over and I wanted Jack to enjoy his first birthday party, even if he really didn't understand what was going on. In any case, I'm pleased to report that Jack had a great time. He loved having all his favorite people around him and was perfectly content to just wander around the house from person to person. Occasionally, he would sneak up on me and grab the backs of my legs and want to be picked up for a hug. Which just makes my heart smile.
He also did really well with opening his birthday presents. While he was more interested in the tissue paper and envelopes, he was content to sit on my lap while I opened the presents and read the cards. He got some really nice toys. I actually put some away to bring out in a few months, mostly because I don't really think he's got the understanding of how to play with toys just yet. Mostly, he just bangs on stuff and throws anything he can around the living room - or at the dog. I think we'll all be happier if we can avoid broken toys, dented floors, and injured puppies.
I'm also pleased to report that Blue did really well with everyone in the house as well. He was pretty content to just lay around and sleep while people would come over and pet him. I find that to be absolutely remarkable, given how young he is and what a basket case Maverick always was with company.
Anyways, I had ordered a cake through Byerly's and they give you a free smash cake for your child's first birthday. I took the obligatory pictures...again, he completely obliterated the cake. He hasn't had sweets before then, and I'm pretty sure he was giving me the stink eye once he realized what he'd been missing...
Overall, I would consider the party a complete success.
Yesterday, Grandma Terry left around 9:00 to head back to New Jersey, so I spent the rest of the day getting cleaned up from the party and catching up on my errands. It feels good to have everything back to normal. I'm also glad that I got to spend a little quality time with Jack yesterday. Jeff actually took him to a sports bar for a while yesterday afternoon to watch some football while I got some cleaning done.
Anyways, that's about it... I do have one new "thing" to report that Jack currently does. Grandma Terry looped Blue's leash around a toy chicken a few days ago. Jack just loves it and drags it around the house, just like he's walking the dog. I'm sure he saw us doing this on more than a few occasions and is trying to mimic us. So, he'll "walk his chicken" and occasionally try to give the chicken water from his sippy cup...It just makes me laugh.
And now we're gearing up for Christmas. We're not going anywhere this year, other than to my parents, so I'm expecting a quiet holiday. Still, there's shopping to be completed and cooking to be done, and parties to attend, so we'll still be on the move!
No comments:
Post a Comment