Being a mom sometimes means that you have to make tough decisions. I mean, really tough decisions.
Our dog, Maverick, was my first baby...and I treated him like one. I got him just a few months after I passed the bar and moved into my own place. For the first few years, he went everywhere with me. He was my buddy. We would spend hours at the dog park together, go on long walks, and as long as the weather was tolerable, he went where I went. As he got older though, he became increasingly protective of me...he got into fights with other dogs and started showing aggressive behavior - especially when it came to food. So, we still went on long walks, but he spent more time at home.
I never thought that Maverick would turn into "just a dog" when Jack was born... it almost embarrasses me to admit that I had problems imaging that I'd ever love something as much as Mav. But then, Jack was born...and the minute the doctor put him in my arms, I literally felt my heart grow three sizes.
Maverick never got used to being second place. Over the past few months, he'd start to growl if Jack came near or tried to pet him when he was napping. And it was worse when food was involved. Basically, I knew I could never turn my back on either Maverick or Jack if one of them was eating.
Something was bound to happen.
Yesterday morning, we had just finished breakfast and took I Jack out of his high chair while I went to wash his tray off in the kitchen. Jeff was in the living room with Jack and Maverick. Maverick went to finish off the Cheerios that were left on the high chair. Jack tottered over to Maverick and tried to pet him. And before Jeff or I could move, Maverick had bitten Jack several times and kept trying for more. It was over in less than a second - Jeff and I were literally feet from where this happened. Jeff grabbed Maverick by the collar and I picked up Jack and whisked him away to comfort him and inspect the damage.
From what I could tell, Maverick bit Jack about three times. Once under his left eye, on the right side of his face and on his right ear. We were lucky. It doesn't look like the bite marks will scar, Jack didn't lose an eye, and his ear didn't get ripped off. We were lucky it wasn't someone else's kid.
We knew that we couldn't keep him with us any longer. We might not be so lucky the next time. So, Jeff and I made the decision to put Maverick down. I tried to find a shelter to take him, but they don't take dogs that have bitten children. So, the very nice veterinarian at the University of Minnesota let me say good-bye to my buddy and took him out of our lives.
To say that we are heartbroken would be an understatement. There is a Maverick-sized hole in both our hearts. The house is so quiet - it's almost unsettling. It was weird waking up this morning without him sleeping between us... it was weird not having the urgency to get up and feed him. I miss him sitting next to me on the couch as I type this, and I keep thinking that it's almost time to feed him or let him out.
Maverick wasn't a good dog - he had terrible habits, mostly surrounding food. But he loved us. And we loved him. He was always happy to see us when we got home. He was really good at helping me keep my floors clean. I miss my buddy. I don't need anyone telling me that we did the right thing - because I know that we did. But that doesn't make things any easier.
I just want to remember the good things about him - how he'd sing, the way he liked being tucked into bed in the mornings, and how he never left my side when I was sad or upset. Like I said, he may not have been a good dog, but we loved him anyways...
No comments:
Post a Comment