Monday, July 9, 2012

A Lot of Ground to Cover...

I wasn't able to post last week since we were running around and trying to get ready for our big trip out east, so I've got to try and remember what we did two weeks ago!  First off, Jack turned seven months, which is a big deal.  He's started developing all kinds of new skills - while he's been crawling backwards for a while, he's finally started going forward in tiny bursts...and it's not "up on all fours" crawling just yet - he army crawls around on the carpeting.  We're probably torturing him because we put a toy out in front for him to crawl towards.  Once he gets there, we move it back so he has to crawl some more.  Terrible parents.  He started doing the army crawl when we were out in New Jersey, so I'm glad Grandma got to see that milestone!  He's also started doing this weird "downward dog" pose.  I don't know what that's about. 



And of course, here is his seven month picture with his stuffed puppy:


Pretty soon, he's going to overtake that stuffed animal and you won't be able to see it at all!  He's getting quite heavy and I bet he weighs over twenty pounds.  He's growing so quickly and outfits that fit him last week now won't stretch over his little Buddah belly! 
 
So, the big news of the week is our trip to New Jersey.  Jack was spoiled rotten when we were out there.  He got no fewer than EIGHT Yankee onesies, and I think he's going to have to wear one every day in order to make sure he wears them all.  He also got a really cute outfit from his Aunt Shirley and another one from his Cousin Debbie.  Cousin Billy gave him "The Velveteen Rabbit."  We read it last night and I forgot how good it is - sad, but good.  His Unkie (that's Jeff's brother, Chris) and Auntie Kate also spoiled him rotten - he had his very own play mat out there, a Grover stuffed animal, a bouncy ball, and all the Yankee attire, of course!  Grandma and Uncle John got him some more Yankee onesies, an outfit, some toys and this remote control - I could devote an entire paragraph to this remote control - Jack loves it.  But I finally know why some parents want to throw their kids' toys away.  It plays this song, "Well, I've got a remote and I'm ready to roll!  It's fun to make things happen when I'm in control!"  By the end of our trip, that song was stuck in all our heads!

He's finally getting more hair...and it's fine and blond like mine.  He's definitely developing Jeff's eye color...when we were out in New Jersey, all Jeff's family kept commenting about how much Jack looked like me - and most of my family thinks Jack is the spitting image of Jeff!  He grabs onto everything - last night I had him in the Bumbo out in the back yard when I was picking raspberries and he was pulling up grass by the handfuls and laughing hysterically.  He loves flashing lights, music, and anything else he can get his hands on.  He loves drawer handles.  Don't ask me what it is about those.  Jack also really likes swimming, which surprised me.  We went to Cousin Debbie's pool a few times on our trip and he loved swimming with Grandma.  He would put his face in the water, kick and splash, and he even went under the water a few times!  Grandma bought him a little swimming/floating device and he liked sitting in that, floating around the pool, kicking his legs, and being doted on by all his second cousins.   


One of the best things about Jack is that he truly loves everyone.  I was a little afraid that he had developed "stranger danger" and was nervous as to how that would play out with all the New Jersey relatives.  Well, I couldn't be more proud of my little man.  He loved everyone alike.  He was perfectly content to sit with Aunt Fran, Aunt Shirley, and Cousin Billy, swim with the girls in the pool, and he was quite liberal with the hugs and kisses.  He also developed a very strong attachment to his Unkie and I've never seen him as content as he was to sit in his Grandma's lap.  He thought his Auntie Kate was a riot and loved chasing after her in his Beep Beep (yes, he had one out there too!).  He was absolutely affectionate with everyone.  I had thought all that attention and stimulation would have caused more than one melt down, but he was perfect.  Seriously, I couldn't have been more proud of how well behaved he was.  It's a great peace of mind to know that I can leave him with a relative, go and do something, and know my kid is going to be happy and not screaming for his mama.  Even at the end of the day, he was easy to put down for bed, despite the unfamiliar surroundings.  Jeff and I had a night out in New York City on Friday night and he stayed with his Unkie and Grandma.  They took him out to dinner with the family and everyone kept telling me the next day how well behaved he was.  Apparently, strangers, particularly old men, kept coming up to him at the club and cooing over him.  And Jack obliged with a smile and a giggle.  He was patient while the girls put bows on his head and let everyone hold him during dinner.    

I'm also pleased to report that Jack was an excellent flier.  I had done extensive research on how to travel with an infant and Jeff and I were prepped with a game plan when we got to the airport on Tuesday morning.  But it was absolutely a breeze.  The airport was practically empty and we sailed through security.  We had so much time to kill we actually had a nice breakfast.  Jack fell asleep as soon as we took off and slept for about an hour.  When he got up, he was happy to play with his new toy and be entertained by his mom and dad.  He did really well on the flight back yesterday and it was even easy to get through security at LaGuardia.  He slept for most of the flight yesterday, which allowed both Jeff and I to doze.  I was really happy we weren't "those people" - the ones with the screaming baby. 


When we landed on Tuesday, Unkie picked us up and we went home.  I went for a short walk while Jack napped and we spent the rest of the day bumming around the house and getting ready for the Fourth of July.  Auntie Kate came home from work and Grandma came over, so we ordered some pizza and played with Jack. 

On Wednesday, the entire family came over for a cook out.  We spent the morning getting ready, making food, getting ice, and setting up the table and tents.  Everyone came over in the afternoon and we grilled, relaxed, and watched fireworks.  Jack sat on a blanket in the shade, playing with toys, and entertaining all his relatives alike.  He didn't quite make it to the fireworks show, and he was so tired, he didn't even wake up to the big booming noises. 


On Thursday, Auntie Kate had to work again, so Grandma, Unkie, Jeff, Jack and I went over to Cousin Debbie's house and swam in the pool.  We ended up spending a long time there and the water felt amazing.  Afterwards, we went home, and Grandma babysat while Chris, Kate, Jeff and I went out to dinner.  I had two beers and just about passed out.  My tolerance is not what it used to be! 

In any case, on Friday, Jeff and Chris went golfing and Kate went to Philadelphia with her brother and sister.  Jack and I bummed around the house and then Grandma came over and took him to the pool again.  Jeff and I went to meet one of his old high school friends in New York City for dinner.  He'd just gotten engaged, so we headed into the City to celebrate.  So, Unkie and Grandma took a turn with the monster.  I didn't realize it until we were in the City that no one had ever put Jack to bed other than Jeff or me.  But Unkie did well.  He also laughed because Jack was on the move up until the minute he passed out. 

Finally, on Saturday, we spent some time in the morning getting our things together.  Chris and I ran some errands while Jeff and Jack napped.  Then, we went over to Cousin Debbie's again for swimming.  We only stayed for a while and then headed down to see a few of Jeff's old friends.  We had dinner there and drove back up.  Grandma came over again on Sunday morning to bring us bagels and see us off. 

And now it's back to the grind.  Jack is back at Grammy Camp this morning, so we're getting back into our routine again.  My parents are leaving for Oregon this week, so Camp will be suspended for about two months. 

And that's it!  I'm hoping for a relatively calm week.  It always seems that the minute you come back from vacation, you need another one...granted, we really didn't have any downtime this trip, but I'm missing Jack today after being with him for nine whole days...tough to get back in the swing of things.  Plus, I'm missing our Jersey clan like crazy right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment