I'm currently writing this post approximately 28,000 feet in the air. It's amazing how quickly technology changes our lives. However, for every comfort we have now, there's a price to pay! I'm headed to Chicago for work. The flight is rougly an hour. As I was checking in, I was asked if I wanted all these special "uprgades" - I could upgrade to first class for $45.00 (I was tempted - and had it been a longer flight, I may have actually done it. And let's be honest, I know I could drink at least $45.00 worth of free booze.). I could pay $9.00 to board the plane earlier. I could pay $50.00 for a pass to the admiral's club. I could pay $15.00 to get a better seat on the plane. And thankfully, I didn't check a bag - because then I would have been compelled to pay another $25.00! Even now, to use the Internet, I had to pay $7.95 for a 24-hour pass. Unreal. The phrase "nickel and dime-ing" passengers doesn't even do this justice. I bet they won't even offer free sodas on this flight. Although I'd kill for a Diet Pepsi right about now...
In any case, Jack will be staying with his daddy while I'm out of town. He's with my parents today and then Jeff will have to do both day care drop-off AND pick-up tomorrow. So much work (sense the sarcasm). I set up the house before I left this morning so Jeff cannot fail - the laundry is done, the bottles are all washed, dinner is even made. The house is nice and clean, and I even laid out Jack's pajamas and an outfit for tomorrow. Granted, Jeff knows what he's doing, but I'm hoping to make my brief absence as easy as possible on my two boys.
I took Jack to my parents' house this morning and then my dad drove me to the airport. Thankfully, few tears were shed - by me, of course. Not Jack. He was happy to sit in his car seat and watch my mom dry her hair. He's probably napping by now, blissfully unaware of the fact that his mom is in knots over leaving him for a few days. I'm hoping he actually sleeps tonight and isn't too anxious about the fact that I'm not there.
We had yet another great weekend. We tried meeting some friends for dinner on Friday night, but it didn't end up working out, so Jeff and I went to a cute little Irish pub for a quick bite. On Saturday, we went for a walk with a few of my girlfriends, and then to the grocery store and Target. Afterwards, Jeff did a bunch of yard work, and I got things set up and taken care of for the week. Yesterday, we went to brunch with some of my girlfriends, and believe it or not - Jack napped for five hours. I couldn't believe it. Longest nap on record. He's still fighting that cold, so I'm thinking that he really needed some sleep to help him get over it.
We've been working on sitting up unassisted, as evidenced by the pictures below. He's slowly learning how to crawl - right now, he lifts his arms and legs up off the ground and pretends he's swimming - that's the best way I can describe it. He's also "talking" a mile a minute, and I think he entertains himself with all the crazy noises that come out of his mouth.
We also started sweet potatoes this weekend. I've decided that I am going to try and make my own baby food. This is no easy statement, but I figure that I do so much cooking for Jeff and I, it's really not too hard to throw an extra sweet potato into the mix - all you really need to do is stick it in the blender, add some milk, and hit puree. Pretty easy. In any case, he was a huge fan of the sweet potatoes, and is actually starting to get the hang of spoon feeding. I think we'll start on some squash in a few days. I also bought some avocado and banana, so we'll start throwing that into the mix as well.
I've attached some pictures of Jack over the past week. I swear he wears clothes. The first pictures shows how good he is getting at sitting up on his own, unassisted. He can't maintain this position for very long, and eventually folds himself over, so his chest is resting on his thighs. The second picture is of him, sitting in his Bumbo with me while I cook dinner. He's munching on a green bean. Don't worry - he didn't eat it, he just stuck it in his mouth, gummed it, and eventually handed it back to me. The next picture is his "swimming" imitation I described above. He'll get the hang of crawling eventually, hopefully later rather than sooner. And lastly, the final picture is Jack after bath time. I can't stand how cute he is. He should be a baby model. And I'm totally not the first parent to ever think that about their child, right?
In any case, Jack will be staying with his daddy while I'm out of town. He's with my parents today and then Jeff will have to do both day care drop-off AND pick-up tomorrow. So much work (sense the sarcasm). I set up the house before I left this morning so Jeff cannot fail - the laundry is done, the bottles are all washed, dinner is even made. The house is nice and clean, and I even laid out Jack's pajamas and an outfit for tomorrow. Granted, Jeff knows what he's doing, but I'm hoping to make my brief absence as easy as possible on my two boys.
I took Jack to my parents' house this morning and then my dad drove me to the airport. Thankfully, few tears were shed - by me, of course. Not Jack. He was happy to sit in his car seat and watch my mom dry her hair. He's probably napping by now, blissfully unaware of the fact that his mom is in knots over leaving him for a few days. I'm hoping he actually sleeps tonight and isn't too anxious about the fact that I'm not there.
We had yet another great weekend. We tried meeting some friends for dinner on Friday night, but it didn't end up working out, so Jeff and I went to a cute little Irish pub for a quick bite. On Saturday, we went for a walk with a few of my girlfriends, and then to the grocery store and Target. Afterwards, Jeff did a bunch of yard work, and I got things set up and taken care of for the week. Yesterday, we went to brunch with some of my girlfriends, and believe it or not - Jack napped for five hours. I couldn't believe it. Longest nap on record. He's still fighting that cold, so I'm thinking that he really needed some sleep to help him get over it.
We've been working on sitting up unassisted, as evidenced by the pictures below. He's slowly learning how to crawl - right now, he lifts his arms and legs up off the ground and pretends he's swimming - that's the best way I can describe it. He's also "talking" a mile a minute, and I think he entertains himself with all the crazy noises that come out of his mouth.
We also started sweet potatoes this weekend. I've decided that I am going to try and make my own baby food. This is no easy statement, but I figure that I do so much cooking for Jeff and I, it's really not too hard to throw an extra sweet potato into the mix - all you really need to do is stick it in the blender, add some milk, and hit puree. Pretty easy. In any case, he was a huge fan of the sweet potatoes, and is actually starting to get the hang of spoon feeding. I think we'll start on some squash in a few days. I also bought some avocado and banana, so we'll start throwing that into the mix as well.
I've attached some pictures of Jack over the past week. I swear he wears clothes. The first pictures shows how good he is getting at sitting up on his own, unassisted. He can't maintain this position for very long, and eventually folds himself over, so his chest is resting on his thighs. The second picture is of him, sitting in his Bumbo with me while I cook dinner. He's munching on a green bean. Don't worry - he didn't eat it, he just stuck it in his mouth, gummed it, and eventually handed it back to me. The next picture is his "swimming" imitation I described above. He'll get the hang of crawling eventually, hopefully later rather than sooner. And lastly, the final picture is Jack after bath time. I can't stand how cute he is. He should be a baby model. And I'm totally not the first parent to ever think that about their child, right?




You probably realize this but just in case, a helpful FYI - if you make the baby food without milk, you can stick lots of extra cubes in a deep freeze and have them last a long time. Not that you can't freeze milk, but it gets more complicated. I would make big batches of everything and just used water to thing things and then froze the cubes. It worked well. If you need more info/recipes/etc. call me - I made all of Julia's food (aside from prunes, that was the only store-bought baby food she got). Also, avocado has the same effect as bananas, so you may want some prunes on hand. :)
ReplyDelete